A tree felled in 1637, a house traditionally begun in 1639, a structure sold by 1681 and a restored saltbox variously dated from 1637 to 1690 do not belong on one chronological scoreboard. Each date answers a different question.
That is the problem with ranking New England’s oldest houses. One claim may describe the earliest surviving timber. Another may come from documents. A third may date the appearance recreated by a twentieth-century restoration. Before deciding which house is “oldest,” choose the clock you mean.
The four clocks behind an old-house date
- Material clock: when a surviving timber was felled or masonry was laid.
- Documentary clock: the interval established by deeds, fires, sales, tax records or written accounts.
- Building clock: the sequence of the core, additions, fires, raised stories and later alterations.
- Museum clock: the historical moment selected by restorers and curators for visitors to see.
Those clocks overlap at the Fairbanks House, Henry Whitfield House, Hoxie House and Paul Revere House, but they do not agree.
| House | Strongest date evidence | What the visible building represents |
|---|
| Fairbanks House, Dedham | A main summer beam was felled in 1637 and a ceiling joist in 1641 | An unusually intact early core inside a house enlarged and occupied by one family across generations |
| Henry Whitfield House, Guilford | Traditional and historical accounts place construction in 1639–1640; the reviewed record provides no scientific date | Early stone fabric inside an extensively reconstructed 1930s interpretation of a circa-1640 house |
| Hoxie House, Sandwich | Conflicting archival and architectural estimates include 1637, circa 1675 and 1680–1690 | A restored saltbox whose exact construction date remains unresolved |
| Paul Revere House, Boston | The previous house burned in 1676 and the replacement was sold in 1681, supporting a date around 1680 | An early structural skeleton with reconstructed surfaces and rooms interpreted to more than one period |
Fairbanks: two tested timbers, not one magic year
Fairbanks makes the strongest material claim in this group because its early frame has been tested. Dendrochronology dated the felling of a principal summer beam to 1637 and a ceiling joist to 1641. “1637–1641” is therefore more honest than assigning the entire house to a single year.
Tree rings do not record move-in day. A felling date establishes the earliest possible use of a timber; it does not prove when the building was complete. The four-year difference between the tested members may reflect phased construction, storage before use or the limits of sampling. What the evidence securely identifies is an early core: a two-story, gable-roofed frame with hall and parlor below, two chambers above and a massive central chimney.
The house kept changing after that core was built. Successive generations enlarged and repaired it. Early oak framing, pine floorboards and mortise-and-tenon joints survive; wattle and daub formed part of the original wall system. Damaged timbers were replaced during twentieth-century conservation. The result is a long family building history with a tested beginning, not a sealed artifact assigned to 1637.
Whitfield: an early stone shell rebuilt twice
The Henry Whitfield House is routinely associated with 1639–1640. The date in the reviewed landmark record rests on tradition and historical narrative, not dendrochronology or another scientific test. Age and visible authenticity separate sharply here.
A fire around 1865 was followed by a partial rebuilding in 1868. When architect Norman Isham approached the house for the 1902–1904 restoration, he wrote that the original building could hardly be said to exist except as a shell. He gutted the interior and created a conjectural exhibition space using tradition, perceived reasonableness and comparison with English examples.
J. Frederick Kelly then removed Isham’s work. He completely rebuilt the ell by 1932 and began the main restoration in 1935, aiming at another proposed circa-1640 appearance. The steep roof, exterior stair tower and leaded casements belong to that campaign’s interpretation. Early stonework survives, including portions of the west wall and north chimney area, but a visitor is not walking into an untouched 1639 interior. The house records both seventeenth-century construction and the changing twentieth-century idea of what that construction ought to look like.
Hoxie: the unresolved date is the story
Hoxie House is often assigned a crisp early date, yet its own research history argues against one. Its Sandwich archive file contains annotated dates ranging from 1637 to 1725—evidence of an unresolved investigation, not a settled construction window. The Historic American Buildings Survey recorded a supposed 1637 nucleus; George Sherwood, the architect who directed the 1959 restoration, rejected that date and placed the house around 1680. Other local material has used circa 1675 or 1680–1690.
None of the reviewed sources supplies a scientific test that resolves the conflict, and none supports the old article’s confident “circa 1640.” The defensible description is a mid-to-late seventeenth-century saltbox with heavy vertical pine siding exposed during restoration, not a house proven to one founding year.
The restoration is part of the evidence, too. The 1959 work replaced deteriorated sills and exposed heavy vertical pine siding; crews also discovered a previously unknown room and fireplace. Those findings help explain the building’s construction, but discovery during restoration does not convert a disputed estimate into a precise date. Hoxie is worth seeing because it makes uncertainty visible—not because it settles the oldest-house race.
Paul Revere House: a five-year documentary window
The Paul Revere House reaches circa 1680 by a different route. Records show that the earlier building on the site burned in November 1676 and that the replacement house was sold in 1681. That five-year window is stronger than the older guesses that ranged from 1650 to 1680, even though the timbers themselves have not supplied the date.
Its early structural survival is substantial. The historic fabric assessment estimated that roughly 90 percent of the structural skeleton remained, including the chimney girt, summer beams and front overhang. But the National Historic Landmark record draws an equally important boundary: exterior surfaces and interior treatments were reconstructed during Joseph Everett Chandler’s 1907–1908 restoration. Chandler removed the later third story and additions, rebuilt the main chimney and front wall, and supplied features such as the diamond-paned windows.
The museum assigns different rooms to different moments. The hall is interpreted toward the period of the first owner around 1700, while other rooms evoke the Revere household in the 1790s. The result combines original frame, reconstructed envelope and multiple interpretive dates. Calling it merely “Paul Revere’s 1680 house” hides the most interesting part.
There is no single oldest-house winner
A ranking only works after its criterion is named: dated timber, early stone shell, documentary construction window or the age represented by a museum room. Treating those as interchangeable produces a neat list and a false result.
On a visit, ask three questions in every room: which material is early, which feature was reconstructed, and which year the curators want this space to represent. Those answers reveal more history than the date on the sign—and prevent four fundamentally different houses from being reduced to one misleading ranking.